uotes are something I love to collect and share, as you know if you've been hanging out here with me for any time at all. Yet, it's been quite a while since I raided my quote pile for a few gems, and I've been on a bit of a quote-sharing kick lately (as you'd know if you were my Facebook friend or followed my rather lame Twitter account...).
Here are a few that have risen to the top, lately.
1. All the knowledge I possess everyone else can acquire, but my heart is all my own.
-Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
2. Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?: Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."
-Charles M. Shulz
3. Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.
- Rainer Maria Rilke
4. Anything I ever learned comes down to something pretty simple: Don’t anticipate life; meet it. When you try to anticipate, you’re being an idiot, because nobody’s got the brain to outwit nature. I’m talking here about patience, about believing in yourself. I’m talking here about having the courage to wait. You will get what you deserve.
5. Have compassion for everyone you meet, even if they don’t want it. What appears bad manners, an ill temper or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.
6. Almost everything serious is difficult, and everything is serious.
-Rainer Maria Rilke
7. Your light is seen, your heart is known, your soul is cherished by more people than you might imagine. If you knew how many others have been touched in wonderful ways by you, you would be astonished. If you knew how many people feel so much for you, you would be shocked. You are far more wonderful than you think you are. Rest easy with that. Breathe again. You are doing fine. More than fine. Better than fine. You’re doing great and don't let anything or anyone steal your right to feel good about yourself.
-Neale Donald Walsch
8. Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them--that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.
9. Beauty is not in the face; Beauty is a light in the heart.
10. The quickest way to change your attitude toward pain is to accept the fact that everything that happens to us has been designed for our spiritual growth.
-M. Scott Peck
11. Load the ship and set out. No one knows for certain whether the vessel will sink or reach the harbor. Cautious people say, "I'll do nothing until I can be sure." Merchants know better. If you do nothing, you lose. Don't be one of those merchants who won't risk the ocean.
12. If I were dying my last words would be: Have faith and pursue the unknown end.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes
13. It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bonus: My friends have made the story of my life. In a thousand ways they have turned all my limitations into beautiful privileges and enabled me to walk serene and happy in the shadow cast by my deprivation.
In rereading through them, it is striking (to me) the apparent contradictions from one speaker to another... make it happen; no, just let it happen; be intentional; don't bother, it will all work out; life is great; life is hard. I like that.
For other Thursday 13s, go here. And have a great Thursday, while you're at it. Me, I've been feeling like Thursday MUST have been here days ago, but apparently not. It's here now, though, and I'm going to enjoy it!
What's your favorite quote of this bunch? Any new gems to share with me? Please do.